Where to add SafeControl and Module for redirection?

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:59 PM
Hello,

I'm setting up a lab scenario with the sharepoint for hosters solution beta 2 and in the documentation (apparently for Beta 1) at the last steps of 3.5 it says:

Add the following to the SafeControl section of the web.config for the WebParts.
<SafeControl Assembly="Microsoft.Hosting.WebParts, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0c304810a507a2bc" Namespace=" Microsoft.Hosting.WebParts " TypeName="*" Safe="True" />

Add the following to the HttpModule section of the web.config for the subdomain redirection.
<add name="Searchfix" type="Microsoft.Hosting.SearchMapper.Mapper, Microsoft.Hosting.SearchMapper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3a56f1135add3e4a"/>

I'm not sure where these web.config files are or where I should be editing.

Any help most appreciated.
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:38 PM
Okay, I think I understand this now but I want to verify.

The above two changes to the web.config go into the web.config for the WSS site I created before I ran the installation batch file.

Then when I add a new client it will point this new domain/client at this website. So all of my sharepoint sites will actually execute off of the one website created in WSS, is this correct?

What about SSL? Many sharepoint clients request SSL certificates will I be able to provide SSL support with this solution?

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2007 at 4:49 AM
Hi Jcoburn,

Just to clarify, the WSS site that you're referring to is a SharePoint Web Application. The web.config for the Web Application contains a section for SafeControls and another section for HTTPModules. Edit the web.config and add the above entries into their respective sections.

The sites that are being added through the SolutionKit, are being added as Host-Named sites to the Web Application. In other words, they are hosted in the Web Application.

As for SSL, we have not implemented that feature. However, you should be able to follow the recommendation as described in the SQL Membership Provider documentation.

jcoburn wrote:
Okay, I think I understand this now but I want to verify.

The above two changes to the web.config go into the web.config for the WSS site I created before I ran the installation batch file.

Then when I add a new client it will point this new domain/client at this website. So all of my sharepoint sites will actually execute off of the one website created in WSS, is this correct?

What about SSL? Many sharepoint clients request SSL certificates will I be able to provide SSL support with this solution?

Thanks

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:12 PM
Thank you for the follow up. I have one more question. I have the product installed and working and everything seems fine except one problem. There's no client-side integration showing up. When I log into sharepoint it doesn't give me the option to open anything with office. Could I be missing a setting?

Thanks
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2007 at 4:30 AM

Have you installed Office 2007?

jcoburn wrote:
Thank you for the follow up. I have one more question. I have the product installed and working and everything seems fine except one problem. There's no client-side integration showing up. When I log into sharepoint it doesn't give me the option to open anything with office. Could I be missing a setting?

Thanks

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:31 PM
On the client? Yes. It is. The thing is it works with WSS sites created in account creation mode, just not the FBA for some reason.
Sep 13, 2007 at 3:51 PM
You can enable client integration in WSS Central Administration. When you create FBA, the default turns off client integration, because most clients have troubles with it. I don't know how successful you'll be, but I've heard that Office 2007 can support it.

To enable it, go to:

Central Administration > Application Management > Authentication Providers

and choose the authentication provider you created earlier.

In the Edit Authentication page, at the bottom, you'll see an option for Client Integration

Regards,
Mike Sharp

jcoburn wrote:
On the client? Yes. It is. The thing is it works with WSS sites created in account creation mode, just not the FBA for some reason.