Create user function

May 16, 2007 at 4:03 PM
I have set up the site but I an unable to create users. When I try to create a new user all I get is the a field to enter a username
Coordinator
May 16, 2007 at 4:12 PM
Hi jdog1999, just to confirm where you're at. you've provisioned a new site and you are trying to create new users via sharepoint, correct?
Thanks,
Gregper


jdog1999 wrote:
I have set up the site but I an unable to create users. When I try to create a new user all I get is the a field to enter a username

May 16, 2007 at 7:28 PM
Thanks for the response. I was following the solutionkitinsall.doc from the web site.
1. I create the solution that seems to work fine.
2. Go to the solution kit web site I see my new solution
3. I choose get it now
4. I have no account in the SQL data base and I am unable to create a new user from this web interface. Is there a different method for doing this that I am not aware of?


Gregper wrote:
Hi jdog1999, just to confirm where you're at. you've provisioned a new site and you are trying to create new users via sharepoint, correct?
Thanks,
Gregper


jdog1999 wrote:
I have set up the site but I an unable to create users. When I try to create a new user all I get is the a field to enter a username


Coordinator
May 16, 2007 at 10:26 PM
jdog1999, when you click "Get it Now", and you are not registered, you should be directed to a Login page. Here there is a button for creating a new user. Do you see these things?
May 17, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Gregper wrote:
jdog1999, when you click "Get it Now", and you are not registered, you should be directed to a Login page. Here there is a button for creating a new user. Do you see these things?


Yes I see these things. When I click on the create user link all I get is one box and that say enter username. There is no submit button no other fields. Its like the page is not being rendered correctly.
May 17, 2007 at 7:41 PM
So this is odd. I looked at the source in IE and could see the html code for the fields. I decied to connect with firefox and was able to create auser accound and provsion a site. very odd. BTW I am using IE7
Coordinator
May 17, 2007 at 7:46 PM
jdog1999, what browser are you using?
Coordinator
May 17, 2007 at 8:16 PM
k, that is odd. i used IE 6 at the time of development, so there could be an IE 7 problem that i should probably look at. thanks jdog1999!
Jul 7, 2007 at 9:46 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2007 at 9:46 AM
When the "Create User" panel is loaded in the StarterKit's SiteLogin page, it does not properly load in IE 7.0 but loads fine in FireFox.

This is easy to correct.

Set the SiteLogin's height value to 500px for the Table Cell containing Panel1.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM
Beta 2.0 version of the SolutionKit will now work with IE7.

Regards,
Lisa


jonathanasbury wrote:
When the "Create User" panel is loaded in the StarterKit's SiteLogin page, it does not properly load in IE 7.0 but loads fine in FireFox.

This is easy to correct.

Set the SiteLogin's height value to 500px for the Table Cell containing Panel1.


Jul 13, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Clearly the examples in the solution kid utilizes Forms with SQL membershipprovider configuration. We have all of our accounts in AD in one domain with a trust. Is it possible to use Forms with AD provider pointing to that domain, so that the login controls are exposed and can be applied for password management on those domain accounts before a user accesses a sharepoint site? It doesn't look like this can be done (at least out of the box) with the login controls if the AD schema does not support the field attributes. High level response is fine.
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2007 at 1:23 AM
Hi Jane,

Yes, it is possible to do what you are describing, and we have created web services that implements Forms Auth with the ASP.NET membership provider. You'll find the code along with documentation in the User and Site Provisioning Web Service subfolder. It's simply a matter of replacing references to the SQL membershipprovider, with that of the ASP.NET membership provider.

regards,
Lisa


Jane42 wrote:
Clearly the examples in the solution kid utilizes Forms with SQL membershipprovider configuration. We have all of our accounts in AD in one domain with a trust. Is it possible to use Forms with AD provider pointing to that domain, so that the login controls are exposed and can be applied for password management on those domain accounts before a user accesses a sharepoint site? It doesn't look like this can be done (at least out of the box) with the login controls if the AD schema does not support the field attributes. High level response is fine.

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:12 AM
The code for site provisiong would be very helpfull for managing and restricting access to WSS sites based upon separate sub OU's within AD. But I didn't see any augmentation of the AD schema, which I believe would be needed in order to leverage use of the login controls against the AD store. Default AspNetDB has several field attributes specific to the login controls such as Password retry limits, secret question and answer fields etc. It still seems like I would either need to customize the user attributes AD store or use the alternate approach - SQL membershipprovider to be able to take advantage of the login controls.


lisataka wrote:
Hi Jane,

Yes, it is possible to do what you are describing, and we have created web services that implements Forms Auth with the ASP.NET membership provider. You'll find the code along with documentation in the User and Site Provisioning Web Service subfolder. It's simply a matter of replacing references to the SQL membershipprovider, with that of the ASP.NET membership provider.

regards,
Lisa


Jane42 wrote:
Clearly the examples in the solution kid utilizes Forms with SQL membershipprovider configuration. We have all of our accounts in AD in one domain with a trust. Is it possible to use Forms with AD provider pointing to that domain, so that the login controls are exposed and can be applied for password management on those domain accounts before a user accesses a sharepoint site? It doesn't look like this can be done (at least out of the box) with the login controls if the AD schema does not support the field attributes. High level response is fine.

{quote}
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2007 at 4:46 AM
Hi Jane,

Please review the Section 5 ( Using the Web Services ) of the User and Site Provisioning Web Services document. I think it's what you're looking for.

1. CreateNewSiteNewOwner
Creates a new WSS site and also creates a new Active Directory user to be the owner of that site. This method would be used when a new site and a new owner should be created at the same time. This will complete the following steps:
· Create an Active Directory OU for this new site
· Create a users group in this new OU for all new users of this site
· Lock down the security of the OU to just this user group
· Create the owner user and set all appropriate properties
· Add this new owner user to the users group
· Create the WSS site and store the name of the Active Directory OU in the site metadata
· Set this new user as the WSS site owner (can add other users and configure access)
· Restrict the site’s user picker to only display members of the site (users in this group)
· Send an email notification to the new owner user’s specified email with initial password and site URL.



Jane42 wrote:
The code for site provisiong would be very helpfull for managing and restricting access to WSS sites based upon separate sub OU's within AD. But I didn't see any augmentation of the AD schema, which I believe would be needed in order to leverage use of the login controls against the AD store. Default AspNetDB has several field attributes specific to the login controls such as Password retry limits, secret question and answer fields etc. It still seems like I would either need to customize the user attributes AD store or use the alternate approach - SQL membershipprovider to be able to take advantage of the login controls.


lisataka wrote:
Hi Jane,

Yes, it is possible to do what you are describing, and we have created web services that implements Forms Auth with the ASP.NET membership provider. You'll find the code along with documentation in the User and Site Provisioning Web Service subfolder. It's simply a matter of replacing references to the SQL membershipprovider, with that of the ASP.NET membership provider.

regards,
Lisa


Jane42 wrote:
Clearly the examples in the solution kid utilizes Forms with SQL membershipprovider configuration. We have all of our accounts in AD in one domain with a trust. Is it possible to use Forms with AD provider pointing to that domain, so that the login controls are exposed and can be applied for password management on those domain accounts before a user accesses a sharepoint site? It doesn't look like this can be done (at least out of the box) with the login controls if the AD schema does not support the field attributes. High level response is fine.


{quote}